W.L. Gore & Associates Inc. is a company that develops fluorocarbon fibers and is best known for its GORE-TEX product. The company expanded its products for the satellite industry and the military, and for stents and other medical devices manufactured here in North Phoenix. Gore was recently among just 12 named for the 20th consecutive year to Fortune’s list of 100 Best Companies to Work For. The company generates $3 billion in annual sales and more than 600 employees work in North Phoenix; 10,000 globally.
The Pinnacle Peak Biomedical Campus is 25-acres in the Sonoran Foothills, and because of the beautiful surroundings landscape design incorporated Gabion walls, desert pedestrian trails, native plants and materials as well as outdoor recreation and meeting spaces. Phase I & II includes three manufacturing buildings around a circular drive enclosing a parking structure and amphitheater. Offices, a cafeteria, an outdoor half-court basketball court and a sand volleyball court complete the campus.
Despite secrecy due to trade secrets and over 2000 patents, the culture which emphasizes team effort, has largely unchanged for nearly six decades. Intense collaboration and cooperation is typical according to the employees, who are called associates, because all 10,000 of them are part owners of the privately held company.
Sustainable features such as an energy-efficient mechanical system was critical because the biomedical manufacturing facility operates 24/7.
- Buildings: Two, 2-Story Biomedical Manufacturing Buildings
- Clean Room: ISO7 | Class 10,000
- Sterilization Laboratories
- Research & Development Laboratories
- High Bay Storage
- 2-Story, 300-Seat Conference Center
- 4-Level Parking Structure
420 Car Capacity
- Outdoor Sport Courts
- Outdoor Dining Facilities
- Central Mechanical Plant
US GREEN BUILDING COUNCIL LEED RATING
- Qualified Level: Silver
- Low Maintenance Sustainable Materials
- Solar Technology: 100kW
- Mission Critical Components: Redundant Cooling Systems, UPS backup, Communications Network Emergency Generators for Monitoring W.L. Gore’s Buildings throughout United States
- Reclaimed-Water Irrigation
- Daylighting Technology
- Construction Waste Recycled
- Energy-Efficient Mechanical System
- Comprehensive structural systems designed using 3D structural modeling software
- Value engineering
- Construction administration
- Special structural inspections
- Gravity System: Steel Framed Joist and Joist Girder
- Lateral System: Masonry and Concrete Shear Walls